Recipe: Lemon, Chia Seed & Oat Muffins
My 5 year old daughter and I decided today that the only thing to do on a Bank Holiday Monday is to bake together and this is the recipe we came up with. By including oats and unrefined sugar, these are a healthier muffin that I'll be happy to give the little ones for breakfast without feeling guilty.
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I recommend W&H Marriage Golden Wholegrain Plain Flour )
- 1 cup Oats
- 2/3 cups Palm Sugar
- 4 tsp Chia Seeds
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 x Organic eggs
- 3/4 cup Organic Milk
- 1/4 cup oil (I used cold pressed rapeseed oil but you could use coconut oil or a nut oil or even substitute with apple sauce)
- 2 tsp Lemon zest (About one lemon)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (About half a large lemon)
- Pre-heat oven to 175 C
- Line 10 muffin cups with paper muffin cases
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a jug, mix all wet ingredients then add to the dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moist.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Can be slightly dry with the wholemeal flour so really lovely with a mixture of lemon juice and sugar drizzled on top while still warm out of the oven to make a lemon drizzle version.
- These would be amazing with some fresh or frozen blueberries included.